So it's Wednesday and the week is half over. We did our Christmas wreaths
yesterday, hoping to make gingerbread cake/playdough today and make
Santa ornaments, etc.
Not a lot of things to report, except I had a melt down when one of the
boys in my group started piling up the beautifully crafted wood Nativity
pieces my dad made. I caught him just as he was about to "flick" the whole
pile at another boy. I have to confess I was angry and it showed. I banned
him from the Nativity set for the rest of the semester.
Today I will apologize and explain again why this set is so special to me.
I considered taking it to my home and putting it up there instead of leaving
it up here at school. When I was praying about this last night I remembered
my dad made that Nativity set FOR the children here. So, to honor his
memory I will leave it out and accessible -- I will teach the children what is
appropriate when playing with the Nativity set.
At home I have a beautiful set my mom made with canvas....what is that
called? Needlepoint? I don't think so...anyway it's yarn she cross stitched
onto canvas and it is wonderful. The grands can play with and handle that
set.
I went to Wal mart this am. intending to buy a Nativity set for the preK
kiddos -- NOT ONE NATIVITY SET. I told the person who helped me
how disappointed I am in our hometown Wal Mart. I didn't add (although
I felt like it) and this is why I shop at Greenwood instead of here most of
the time.
2010 we are scheduled to get a Supercenter here. That will make my life
easier.
Christmas is all about memories. The memories this year are special, but they
do bring a tear.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Rita, I know how you must have felt when the little boy was not handling your nativity set gently. You loved your dad so much and this is a special toy. I admit that I had to laugh that you had grounded the little boy from " Jesus". Sometimes Christmas brings out so many emotions that are hard to harness... you are doing a wonderful job of honoring your father. Now...lets find you a toy nativity so you dont lose it again... and this special one can be placed somewhere more protected so your grandchildren and great grandchildren can enjoy it for years!
After I calmed down and sat down and explained HOW to handle the Navity set, it has been a special toy to all the children and they've handled it with respect.
But I will buy another set from Oriental or somewhere and use this in future as decoration, rather than as interactive. Dad made it just two years ago so the kids would have a set that was durable they could man handle. He was such a blessing to me and to the kids I cared for. I have puzzles he made for them, two benches, and various other items he created for them to use.
I am blessed in the father I had.
Post a Comment